Food processors come in all shapes and sizes and it can be difficult to decide which is the right one for you. Here we discuss the features to look for when choosing a food processor.
What is a Food processor?
A food processor is a electrical appliance used to make repetitive food preparation tasks easy. A key feature of food processors is that they have interchangeable blades so that one processor can have many functions.
What can a Food Processor do?
Different food processors will have different blades and functions, which may include
- Slicing / Chopping Vegetables
- Grinding – Eg Nuts and Spices
- Shredding / Grating
- Mixing and kneading Doughs
How to choose
When shopping for a food processor consider the following.
- Size – Make sure the food processor is the right size for your uses, ideally you want the capacity to take all of your food in one go.
- Attachments – Does the model have the attachments that you need?
- Washing options – Are the parts dishwasher safe for easy cleaning?
- Power – The power of the machines is measured in wattage. Obviously the more powerful the easier it will cope with more strenuous tasks, however as power increases so does price. Also look out for induction motors, these directly drive blades (no gears or belts) so are much hard wearing and often come with extended guarantees.
- Speed Controls – Does the processor has variable speeds or a pulse function.
- Warranty – How long is the machine guaranteed for?
What are the options
So you’ve decided what features you’re looking for in a food processor, here’s several food processors with different features which we feel are worth consideration.
Kenwood Compact FP116 Food Processor. The Kenwood Processor FP116 is a good entry level affordable processor. It only has a 0.8 litre capacity so is more suited for smaller portions but for the price has many attachments which include – Shredder, Juicer, Stainless Steel Blades, Whisk. The motor is only 300Watts. Click here for more information and to buy the Compact FP116
Kenwood FP580 Food Processor – This is a more versatile machine than the FP116 as you can change out the bowl for a liquidiser, great for soups and smoothies. This machine has a 500 watt motor and a 2.9 litre bowl.
Magimix 5200 Food processor – Magimix are makers of quality food processors, if you are going to use a food processor regularly I would always recommend a magimix. The have a range of processors, which differ in size. The 5200 is their largest with a 3.7 litre capacity. The Motor is a 1100 watt induction motor which directly drives the blade. The Machine has a 3 year guarantee and the motor is guaranteed for 12 years.
- 1100 Watt motor,
- Mini bowl (1.2 litres) and sabatier knife,
- Mini polycarbonate bowl (2.6 litres) ,
- Main polycarbonate bowl (3.7 litres),
- Twin feed tube lid and pusher,
- 2mm reversible slicer/grater,
- 4mm reversible slicer/grater,
- parmesan grater,
- citrus press and safety arm,
- dough blade,
- Geared egg whisk,
- New flexible spatula and accessory storage box.
- All magimix food processors have commercial grade induction motors guaranteed for 12 years, all other parts are guaranteed for 3 years.